Thursday, November 26, 2009

thankful

Yesterday Asher and I had the funniest conversation. It made me laugh out loud, and in the moment I thought, I have to blog about this. I repeated it in my head to make sure I would remember, and laughed out loud again at the thought of it.

I have no idea now what we were talking about.

The other night I was completely, thoroughly exhausted. I was trying to read Silas his bedtime story, but he wasn't interested, and I was tired of trying. I closed the book and looked down at my son. He reached over, patted my chest with his little chubby baby hand, and said, "My Mama." And bedtime didn't feel quite so arduous anymore.

The thing is, I probably won't remember that moment next week.

It's all flying by me, guys. Silas is talking more every day, and Asher is asking about mercy and zambonis. It's a sweet time in our lives, and by the time the gardenias are blooming we'll be on to the next one. The warp speed of small children, sprinting through their days and through time, astounds me.

Today I am thankful for the the sweet, silly things that fill up my time, that I will never remember later. For Asher tearing through the house in nothing but Sesame Street underoos, playing some elaborate game of hide-and-seek involving screeching and lots of whistling with his dad (I have no idea) while Silas sits in his high chair, imitating their sounds and giggling at their giggles. For time to play and for train tables and for Silas' fierce brand of affection. I am so thankful for my life and my place in it. And though I know I won't remember it all tomorrow, I also know that tomorrow will be full of new silly, sweet moments too. I have a lot to look forward to.

Today I agree with the Psalmist when he said -

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.


Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

AMEN! Hope your Thanksgiving weekend was great.