Thursday, May 14, 2009

evidence of may

I love spring.

LOVE IT.

I never get errands run just because they are so stinking miserable with kids in tow (and anyone who says they aren't is LYING to you. It's not that my kids are terrible, it's that they are KIDS, and they are strapped in and expected to not attract my attention while I concentrate on something else. Right). So Jamie - who commented - and Jessica - who called to comment - are both right. It is time for me to stop talking about organizing a mom's trade-off in the neighborhood and actually DO IT. There are too many of us in the same boat for all of us to go under, collectively, in a sea of whining and outstanding three dollar bills. Yes, I'm going to get on that. Today. Or tomorrow. But soon - now - no kidding.

Also, though? Life has been too fun to drag myself to the supercenter lately. It is the perfect time of year in Alabama - warm enough to play, but no suffocating humidity yet. We've had a really fun week.

Monday, after nap, we went for a walk and kept running into friends in their yards. It was so fun to just hang out and chat while our kids chased the dogs and stomped through the grass. What a nice way to spend the Bad Hour between naps and dinner.

Tuesday Jamie and I walked the kids over to the park. I wish I'd had my camera. As he is getting older, I am noticing that Asher really loves to be around kids a little bit older than him. Andrew and Asher found some school age boys at the park, as well as a boxer puppy, and they had SO MUCH FUN together. Asher would just run through the middle of the play area and laugh the whole way. It was so cute.

Yesterday we went to Leslie's house and let the kids paint outside. Leslie also has a water table, and an outdoor baby swing for Silas. Swings, paint, and water to splash - need I say more? Asher had a blast, and went home in just a diaper because his clothes were no longer fit for use. Always solid evidence of a good morning.

Then today our friends invited us to the toddler pool at the Y. Part of the reason we joined the Y - aside from a place to work out - is to have access to a pool, but this was our first trip there. Let me start by saying this - when I was a little kid, kiddie pools meant shallow, warm pools that always reminded me of baby pee (as well they should, probably) - all of the fun slides and diving boards were in the big pools, so as soon as I was old enough to talk my way out of it, I never went kiddie pools at all.

What we found today is not your mother's kiddie pool.

This is a megadeluxe kiddie pool - it's about the size of a regular in-ground pool in someone's backyard, but it never gets deeper than 1 1/2 feet. It had an elephant fountain, a water slide, and little spouts shooting water all over the place. It is also covered, so there's no need for sunscreen. This is one COOL kiddie pool.

Asher had a BLAST.

And I had so much fun watching him. I didn't put Silas in because I didn't have my suit with me, but next time I'll be more prepared to get in with them. But Asher, friends, Asher was in his element - water, freedom, and a fountain (when he saw it he said, "Ooooh ... look at that Baaby Elephaant," to make sure I understood just how spectacular it was).

And he completely wore himself out. We came home in time for lunch, and while I was getting it ready, Asher said, "While you make my avocado I'll just sit right here and have a little rest," then lay down on the floor with his blanket and paci.

Perfect.

All of that to say, I love spring. I love spring with children, and I love being home to do all of these fun things with them.

Here are a few pictures from the past week. Evidence of May, if you will.

My two beautiful little boys, on their "water break" (as Asher calls it) on Monday.




And all the moms, grandmas, and moms-to-be on Mother's Day. Isn't my sister cute pregnant?



Abandoned errands not withstanding, life is good right now. If only post offices came with water slides.

3 comments:

mary said...

I LOVE the family picture at the bottom!! You look fantastic and so does Scooter.

I'm a little jealous of the weather. We have some really awesome days this time of year but then we still have cold/rainy/cloudy days that feel like February.

Heather said...

I love that last picture. Simply beautiful. So full of JOY!

The Bean said...

A post office with a water slide would be the bomb!