Saturday, April 25, 2009

1. Coffee is my consolation prize. If, for example, I'm on my way to the pediatrician's office instead of the park with my friends, I have "earned" a trip through Everyone's Favorite Drive-thru for a tall coffee and no sugar added banana nut cake (which is cake, to be sure, and not at all low-fat, but does not cause my blood sugar to drop, and that's good enough). But when all goes According to Plan, drive-thru coffee is not necessary.

This week I've swiped my debit card four times at the coffee shop. Enough said.

2. I'm pretty sure I could fall asleep in this desk chair, sitting cross-legged and drinking my mother's triple strength Folgers if I thought about it hard enough.

3. True story: Wednesday afternoon, my sister came to see us. I don't even remember what made me say it now, but I remarked to Allison that I lost my pride when I had my children. At this Asher looked up and asked, "Mama, you lost your pride?"
"Yes baby I did."
"But where did your pride go?"
"I don't know, but I know it's gone. I lost it when I had you."
"You lost your pride, Mama? When you had me?"
"Yes, baby, but I'd rather have children instead."

The things you never think you'll say in a day ...

4. But. BUT. My children are in the middle of a good nap. Last evening was peaceful - peanut butter and jelly (and drinks for Brian and I) on the back porch, followed by playing on the swings until the sun went down. Very nice. This morning was also relaxed - playing in the water hose at Big Daddy's house. What else could a little boy need? And after nap we will go out on the boat. So at the moment, the lake is my consolation prize. I have no pride, not enough sleep, and too much coffee in my system - but I would happily trade it all again for those sweet sleeping babies upstairs.

Happy Saturday all.

3 comments:

Laura Mielke said...

I LOVE this post.

Heather said...

I starred this post in my Reader. Love it. Read it out loud to Corey, even. :)

I lost my pride AND my modesty.

My word scramble is "hopet." I read this as "Hope It."

Lisa said...

I do the coffee-as-reward thing too, but usually it is a reward for attempting ANY major outing with child in tow. If I have to wrestle her in the grocery store to keep her in the cart, then I deserve that steamy drink!