Sunday, March 22, 2009

what's next

First of all, I've averaged 1 comment per post for about the past month. Almost everyone I know says, every now and then, "I was reading on your blog that ..." so I KNOW you guys are reading. And I know I don't write in such a way to elicit comments all the time, which is fine. But I'd like to know I'm not spilling my guts to the crickets and the stars while everyone else is hanging out on Facebook, so I'm pronouncing this week DELURKING WEEK on my blog. If you read and never comment, speak up sometime this week, please. Just this once.

Second, 24 hours away from my kids has made me so glad to be around them again! I guess when it comes to free time, a little goes a long way for me. I really enjoyed myself (I was SO LAZY - we got back to the hotel at 7 pm and I swear I could have gone to bed at 7:30. Brian made some decaf for me just to get me to sit on the porch and talk to him for another hour, but even with that by 8:30 I was nodding off. And the next morning we took our muffins and coffee back to the room and watched tv until check-out time. That's how I spent my 24 hours away, ya'll. Sleeping, drinking coffee, and watching tv. I forgot my hairbrush and didn't even MISS it. It was that kind of weekend.), but I was so excited when both sets of grandparents pulled up with their assigned child. And today I have felt more like myself with them - especially with Asher, my attitude is much improved. We've had a fun day - going for a Big Boy Walk (this is when he gets to walk around the block by himself - not in a stroller - while I wear Silas - Big Boy Walks are a Big Deal for him. Everybody enjoys a little freedom in life), playing in the backyard, reading books before nap. It's been a good day.

The task now is to better order my life and time so that I'm not in a constant cycle of needing "a break." I need to take the free time that presents itself, and not overschedule my time. I also need to put into practice something I already know to be true - just because something is a good opportunity does not mean I have to do it. There is a difference between a good thing and what is best for me and my family. I need to work on this.

And a few random thoughts, to grow on:
1. When I see pregnant women in spring clothes, I miss being pregnant. Feel free to LAUGH IN MY FACE, because anyone who knows me at all knows that I don't love being pregnant. I love the result, but I don't love the moment. So why would I miss it? That is just ... odd. My neighbor says it's because it's spring, the season of beginnings. Maybe so. Last spring - aside from my crippling anxiety over Silas's safety and delivery - was a fun season, so maybe it's just bringing back good memories. Who knows.

2. In general, I have been more emotional about my kids lately. Several times this week I have been teary, and I'm not one to do that normally. Again, very odd.

3. Last night we had both sets of grandparents, plus Aunt Scooter and Co. over for dinner. Very nice.

4. Asher keeps telling me that his ears hurt. He's also had trouble with naps this past week. I know he has springtime allergies (our entire household is having seasonal allergy trouble right now). That could cause pressure on his ears, right? There's like a 92% chance the pediatrician would tell me it's his allergies, but the 8% that could conceivably be an ear infection is nagging me. Would you take him in?

And now I'm off. Naptime is over, and sneezing or not, it's still a beautiful afternoon. I think we'll walk over to the park.

15 comments:

Cindy said...

In honor of "delurking week" I thought I'd let you know that I read your blog daily, even if I seldom comment. When I'm away from home, I usually pull it up on my phone. (And during long drives Mark usually has me read it out loud - especially the posts with comic tales about your little fellas.) Love your posts.

Glad to hear that you and Brian had such a great R&R weekend together!

Anonymous said...

this is me, de-lurking, though i comment sometimes. actually, i often start a comment and then erase it because i think, 'really, we're going to have this conversation on a comment section of her blog?!" and then vow to call you instead...and well, we know how that ends up. =)

yay for blogs and weekends away and babies and spring!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Keep it going.

Anonymous said...

I'm here.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and about the allergies. Have you tried eating local honey? And by local, I mean honey that was farmed within 30 miles or so from Montgomery? When I moved to Montgomery, I was MISERABLE for spring and hay season and ragweed season.

Then we left Montgomery and I was much better. When we came back in 2006, I was, once again, miserable. Then someone suggested local honey. I looked around and found a bottle.

I was told to eat one teaspoon to tablespoon every day for a year. So, I did. Almost every day.

When the next spring rolled around, my symptoms were almost nonexistent. I went from being on allergy medicine daily and burning through a box of tissues a day to being almost symptom free.

Now, I just eat local honey every so often to maintain, and I don't have hardly any symptoms.

It's not just me. I've talked to other people, and it works. It has to be local. And you have to learn to have a good relationship with it. It won't happen overnight, but with determination, it seems to work for people.

Cindy said...

Just wanted to say thanks, Baron - I had never heard of that before, but with itchy eyes and spring about to hit in Kentucky, it was news to my ears. I did a quick google search and found this article that others might find interesting:

"At least one informal (unfunded) study on allergies and honey conducted by students at Xavier University in New Orleans produced positive results. Researchers divided participants into three groups: seasonal allergy sufferers, year-round allergy sufferers and non-allergy sufferers. These groups were further divided into three subgroups with some people taking two teaspoons of local honey per day, others taking the same amount of non-local honey each day and the final subgroup not taking honey at all. The Xavier students found that after six weeks, allergy sufferers from both categories suffered fewer symptoms and that the group taking local honey reported the most improvement [source: Cochran, Brittany. "Honey: A sweet relief?" Xavier University. October 23, 2003.
http://www.xula.edu/herald/issues/20031023/honey.html].

The study was never published, but the anecdotal evidence in favor of honey as an allergy reliever continues: Several of the study participants asked if they could keep the remaining honey after the experiment was concluded."

- quoted from -
http://health.howstuffworks.com/local-honey-for-allergies2.htm

Anonymous said...

Baron and Cindy you are both so right. That is a remedy that my Grandmother used for many things and it always seemed to work. Honey is very good for you.

The Bean said...

I would definitely take him in if he is telling you his ears hurt. Baby Bean told me a few weeks ago that her belly didn't feel well and she really didn't want to eat. I made her a eat a kids yogurt and 30 minutes later she barfed all over Target. Guess that's what I get for not listening to her.

Jamie said...

I laughed at your "delurking week". I have wanted to write a post of sorts for quite some time now because I hardly ever get comments!

Jason said...

Keep up the good work ....I enjoy keeping up with yall through here

Michelle said...

I'm here even though I don't comment but once in a blue moon. I love your blog and the way you write! I'm so glad you and Brian had such a relaxing time away. You needed it!!! Re: possible ear infection - as a mom to one who has had ear tubes 3 times, I tend to err on the side of caution. And I will say that in his almost 4-years David has never had classic symptoms - he just acts "ill". I've taken him in more times than I can count and I've only been wrong once. Re: local honey - some friends of the family own a local grist mill and grow hydroponic lettuce and blueberries and have their own chickens for fresh eggs and have bees... They sell online, at the farm (in Wetumpka) and at the spring Farmer's Market at Eastchase. They are wonderful people and love to have families come visit the farm and see the goats, chickens, etc. The website seems to be having difficulties tonight, but it is www.oakviewfarms.com and the number is 567-9221. Their names are Joe and Patty Lambrecht.

Nick M. said...

I too am always here and need to do a better job of not "lurking" as much and get in on the conversation. My weak excuse is that I read most blogs through the RSS reader on my email program and you can't comment from there. I always think "I liked that, I should go leave a comment" but then it never happens because I have the attention span of...hey look a doggie! Sorry, what was I saying?

Anyhow, don't lose steam on posting. I love your writing (someone should probably be paying you to do it). Let's get our kids and spouses and do something outside SOON!

Lisa said...

Olivia likes her big girl walks too. She refuses to hold anyone's hand because she can do it by herself! She also walks slowly because she has to examine every crack in the pavement and every rock or stick she sees. But it's fun to watch her explore.

Anonymous said...

Still lurking.

Shannon said...

I follow you blog daily. I love how you write! Thanks for sharing!