Tuesday, March 17, 2009

because i always want to remember

Little Silas gets left behind. It takes him a couple of minutes to crawl over to where the action is, and by the time he gets there, the fun - i.e., his brother, parents, or dog - has moved on. You can imagine that after several failed attempts by a very social baby to be in on the action, he starts to get irritated. Yesterday he was trying to catch up with me, and when I turned around to look for his brother, Silas's cry said, "Mom! Wait!" I stopped, turned around, and sat on the floor, legs crossed. When he saw that he had my attention, he grinned and picked up the pace. When he got to me, he pulled up - first onto my knees, then onto my outstretched hands. Then he reached over my legs and pulled himself up onto his little perch - arm resting on my arm, looking out over my right shoulder - so that his view was exactly as it is when he's sitting on his rightful place on my hip. This is how Silas sees the world most of the time, and yesterday it was his way of telling me he wanted to be held.

It was the sweetest thing ever.

No comments: