Monday, April 28, 2008

picking back up with A Thousand Gifts

2. my house.

Valerie wrote about wanderlust versus buying a home, and the conflicting desires for both. I have talked so much here about the same thing that I'd feel like I was beating a dead horse to dredge it all up again, but - yes. I know what you're saying. I would add that there is a season for everything, and for this season, our house is a gift.

I have a friend who is 34 weeks pregnant with her first child and living in an apartment. Their lease runs out May 31 (she's due June 9) , and they have to move closer to her husband's job for financial reasons, and they can't move into their new apartment until May 15. Did I mention how very pregnant she is? Every time we see her, she's on the verge of the hysterical laugh-cry women use when they are trying to make light of something serious. My heart goes out to her. Her bassinet is in a box, her shower gifts are still in their bags, and that baby is closer to being here every day. I would be hysterical too.

I love our house. It is the perfect layout for roaming babies; you can make a loop without ever having to turn around, and I can shut off every room that is not baby proof. It is exactly as much space as we need, and it is has a good yard.

And I love our neighborhood. Yesterday we walked down to the park, as has become our habit after Sunday naps, and were surprised to find fifty of our neighbors already there. Every Sunday in the spring they have a free concert in that park; we had forgotten all about it. Our neighborhood is largely academic types and old hippies, or young families with children. Kids were on the playground while old men sat in folding chairs drinking wine and eating pita and hummus (seriously). But most importantly, everyone was talking to one another. People knew each other, and those that didn't talked anyway. It was a great way to spend Sunday afternoon.

One last thing about our house that I love is the mortgage. Because we chose the cool-adjacent neighborhood, we have the luxury of both paying a mortgage and going to the grocery store every single month on one income. It is in line with our financial priorities right now, which are mostly to function on cash and raise our children, though sometimes that seems like a pretty lofty goal. For all of these things I am thankful. I love our little house.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yumm, pita and hummus sounds great right now! I love your (or the idea of) your neighborhood! And I can't wait to see your house!

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Stephanie ; )

Jason said...

I love hummus ....so good..add some tabooli salad and you are set!!!

Nick M. said...

I don't know about the hummus, but some homebrew and a nice lawn chair sound good about now. We also love our house and while I wish we had the neighborhood/part atmosphere that you do we definitely love having our space and having access to the things that we use the most on this side of town. Its always a trade off, but I believe Dorothy Gayle said it best "There's No Place Like Home"!!