Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Million Little Pieces

I am in South Florida, in the middle of this spiritual weekend, and I haven't said anything useful in the blogworld in probably three weeks, and I have (no kidding) at least three meaningful entries in KC typed up and just waiting for the next trip to the library so I can post them ... and all I want to say to you tonight is that I'm beginning to get it. The hype about the book, I mean. I didn't at first, but now that I'm about 2/3's into it, and the THEME of the book is finding out the truth about the world and yourself, and living within that truth, and about how long it takes him - James Frey - to acknowledge the truth, and then how he marketed this book to be his story of finding the TRUTH about his life, when really it was a LIE meant to sell books ... I am beginning to see the irony. The book is good, but that was pretty wrong. So I get the hype, even though I like and will finish the book.

Not sure if I will recommend it to you or not, though. It's Wally Lamb/ Toni Morrison harsh, with the style (there's a name for it, I'm sure, that I don't know) that reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye / The Shipping News. At first I almost didn't keep reading it, because people kept throwing up spectacularly and with much detail (and most of you know how I feel about vomit), but now I'm sucked in. So we'll see. He also writes in run-on sentences. Can you read this entry and tell?

Either way, the book might be good, but what he did was wrong. Now I get it.

Love from THE BEACH.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am way jealous about the beach. Here in Memphis, we have ice, but no snow. All the dangerous driving without any of the fun. :-( Hope you're having a good time!