Friday, September 02, 2011

sometimes, out of nowhere

We have the sweetest moments at the most unexpected times.

Asher and I are cut from the same cloth. The boy is pretty easy going (I like to think I am too), but there is a point of no return. If he gets too tired, too hungry, too out of sorts, there is going to be hell to pay. Tonight he stayed out about 15 minutes too late, and wept and whined through the ride home and his bedtime routine. After half an hour of wailing and protests, he finally made it to his bed, Geoff and Monkey in hand, an extra book to look at until he drifted off. I went into his room to tell him good night, and expected to find him either weepy or asleep. He was facing the wall, eyes closed, presumably sleeping. I kissed his cheek, and he turned to face me, wide eyed. "Thank you for my Captain America Sprite," he whispered. "And thank you for my Spiderman toothpaste. I like to look at the picture. And I like the way it smells."

"You're welcome," I said, surprised and a little amused by what delights a little boy. "Do you know why I picked those things for you?"

"Why?"

"Because I love you. And even when you whine and cry, I will always love you, and you will always be my little boy."

"I know," he said, and smiled. "I will always love you too."

Then he rolled back over and closed his eyes.

Sweet boy.

No comments: