1. During her visit last week, Mikkee brought Emmy a little pink elephant lovey blanket. Silas immediately WANTED that blanket, NEEDED that blanket. So I put it in my room, in hopes that perhaps it could remain Emmy's lovey. Alas. On his way to nap today, he pointed to the little hot pink elephant and said, "But Mama, he is precious to me."
I ask you, how are you going to deny a little boy his precious pink elephant?
2. I'm sitting outside, because today is BEAUTIFUL - not crisp fall, but Deep South fall, all the same - and I'm watching my dog stalk a lizard. He does this several times a day, and it cracks me up a little. Were he to ever catch one, I don't know who would be more surprised, and I am absolutely positive he would have no idea what to do with it. Stalk on, Dog-Dog.
3. I am not sure exactly how it happened, but I have had more free time in the past few weeks than I've had in the past few years. I keep staring around blankly and wandering, what exactly does one DO with free time, anyway? My brain is too pregnant to read, so don't even bother suggesting it. And I don't have enough free time to take on a new project ... so I've been focusing on enjoying the slower pace for the gift that it is. In return, I have a lot more mental energy for puzzles or endless rambling conversations with Asher in the afternoons, or reading with Silas in the mornings, and I feel certain that renewed energy is directly correlated to the quiet hours recently. Thanks be to God for unexpected rest.
4. My church had a baby shower for me last weekend. All the pink is really fun, but also kind of surreal - it's funny how differently people shop for baby girls, compared to baby boys. I received more handmade things, and more cutesy things, than I ever did with the boys. It's fun to have a first girl as a third baby - I already have the staples, so the cute stuff is perfect.
Because she will be here, ya'll. In less than seven weeks.
Whew. In previous pregnancies, I remember thinking - I can't have a baby! His room's not ready! His clothes haven't been washed! This baby's room is not ready yet, either, but now I know better. Babies don't need their own rooms at first (though all of their stuff does), and clothes will get washed when you need them. Now I keep thinking - Really? A baby? Wow our lives are about to change.
5. Since you hung in with me this long, want to see a few pictures?
Here are some of my friends from church, at the baby shower. L to R is Rachel, Nikki, me, Lindsey, Shannon, and Tracy. I love this picture because of the toddler tugging on Rachel's arm. I don't think any time I have with them would be complete if there wasn't a toddler somewhere in the background saying, "But I need to go PEE-PEE."
A few Fridays ago the boys and I spent the morning "hiking" down a walking trail at a nearby park. It was Silas' first real outing since the surgery, so he wasn't quite 100%. Don't they look like they're having a blast? No really, it was fun.
Happy Thursday, all.