Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Ohhhh. Cartoons at 4:45 a.m. make my stomach drop.

Silas and I have been awake since 2:20. I really have no idea why. Do you know? Because I would love someone to tell me. My guess is that his throat hurts, but I really can't be sure. He keeps saying, "uh-oh." He's had Motrin, he's been rocked. I put him in his bed to wait it out (that didn't work either). At one point I tried lying down with him. He dozed off, then sat up suddenly and announced, "Uh-oh" again. It was both ominous and cute. Anyway, at 4:45 I gave up, turned on the cartoons, and gave him a snack. He's now hugging his juice cup, eating a cracker, and staring, glassy-eyed, at Yo Gabba Gabba. Sigh.

For the record, religion is not the opiate of the masses. Television is. But I digress.

I hit a wall last night (before I woke up at 2:20 a.m.). I didn't want to have things to do today, I didn't want to be busy anymore. I wanted my old life back. But that was a predictable wall, and I would be pretty busy either way (have I mentioned my sister is getting married in a few weeks? Good Word I'd forgotten how hectic the month before a wedding is). We've also been quarantined from normal life for the better part of two weeks now. So of course I'm a little ... swamped. Temporarily.

But, quarantines and early mornings and busy days notwithstanding, we have CONQUERED the paci in our house. With no tears and almost no sleep disruption (which was always the bigger issue. I can say "no" to my children, and I can stomach their response. It's the prospect of losing naptime altogether, or spending two hours screeching in bed before falling asleep at night, that has intimidated me all this time. Anyone who has spent months of their life on shockingly little sleep understands that sleep is worth whatever it costs). But we had none of that. NONE. I really can't believe it, either. Several people have asked me how we did it. Since we've failed twice, and succeeded once, I think it might make an interesting post. I'll tell you all about it soon.

That's where we are. How about you? What's new with you?

No comments: