Monday, February 02, 2009

Some of you who have talked to me in the past few days are going to read this and say, "What about Silas?" I'm totally going to write about Silas. Tomorrow, I will have plenty to say about Silas. Tonight, though, is about someone else.

I'm going to tell you a secret, but you have to promise not to tell my children.

See this? This doesn't matter to me.

I mean it does, in that part of my job is to teach my children to function within a system and to follow rules. But it doesn't BOTHER me. It doesn't make me mad, or anything.

Neither do his declarations of, "Asher have a TURN!" Neither does dawdling (sometimes dawdling - sometimes I just want to get where I'm going already). All of that is part of being a toddler, and most of the time, toddlers just crack me up. Because the same little boy who powders his room and colors on the walls also does things like this.



And this.

By the way, he's singing, "ROCK ON!"

This is what being two is about, and two-years-old doesn't bother me. I can't let him think doing whatever comes to mind at that moment is okay, but it isn't a problem, you know? But you can't tell my kids, or you'll blow my street cred. The only thing I have going for me is that they think it DOES matter. If I lose that, I'm toast.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I wish I had been better at not letting 2 bother me. Heck, I wish I were better at not letting 4 and almost-7 bother me. I do get angry. Later, I regret having gotten angry, but anger is still my first reaction.

Am working on this. The Year of Patience and all.

That pic of Asher is CLASSIC.

My word scramble is cablemin. Like cableman in an odd plural form.

M'elle said...

Have I ever told you about the The Great Baby Powder Incident of 2004? I was an overly confident babysitter who thought children were snug in their beds sleeping...

And I LOVE the rocking lion picture - you can't make up stuff that good!