Tuesday, October 28, 2008

things that boggle the mind - his and mine

The first thing that boggles the mind is how often, how many, and how quickly colds spread among toddlers. Yesterday a sniffling little girl at the park kept grabbing Asher's hand, and it did not register in that moment that I should INTERVENE if I wanted to have healthy children this week. I actually forgot all about it until I heard Asher sneeze at 5 a.m. and thought, dang, that little girl gave him her cold. It's really no wonder children share their runny noses, though. Adults don't hold a stranger's hand, drink from a neighbor's cup, or sneeze on one another very often. If we did, we'd all have each other's colds.

The second thing that boggles the mind is a cold that keeps a person awake. He woke up (sneezing) at 5 a.m., took a 20 minute afternoon nap after almost two hours of singing, squealing, and screaming at the top of his lungs (which he has never done since he went to one nap a day), and now, half an hour after he's been put to bed, is chanting "Daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy" until the name no longer has any meaning, and has become a string of nonsensical sounds. Oh, this is bad. This is very bad.

The third thing that boggles the mind is how he can hear the television, which is turned down so low I have to stop typing to hear it, over his sound machine, which is turned up so high I can hear it across the house. If he's tuned out his sound machine, what good is it? I know he can hear the television because he's commenting on the commercials. "Bobby Bright!" just interrupted his Daddydaddydaddy mantra. Have I mentioned the Bobby Bright obsession? Bobby Bright is running for Congress. We like Bobby Bright. In fact, I am not exaggerating when I say that I would be more upset to see Bobby Bright lose than to see John McCain win. I have respect for John McCain, but Bobby Bright's opponent is just - slimy. Anyway. We love Bobby Bright, and so does Asher. He wants to know if he's at work or at home (I make up an answer, because how am I supposed to know?). He also has asked if Bobby Bright goes poo-poo (I'm sure he does), and any time the sun is bright, it is now Bobby Bright.

Which is one of the ways I have become aware of how literal Asher is, and how much my words must boggle his mind sometimes. Aunt and Ant are the same to him, as are Meet and Meat and Sheep and Sheet. Also, today when I asked him what kind of cake we should make, he told me Cheese Quesadilla Cake. I really cannot imagine he knew what he meant, either, but it made us both laugh.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That cracks me up! And yes, it is easy to see why kids spread their germs so easily. They are always slobbering all over their hands and then, you know, TOUCHING things. And drinking out of other people's sippy cups. I can't tell you how many times I've caught Olivia doing this.

Missy said...

Silly boy.

That's why we use box fans. They blow sound machines out of the water and never die - for $20. Which we learned after about $200 in sound machines.

The Bean said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!