Do you want to know my biggest spiritual struggle? Somewhere along the way I got the idea that God doesn't care about details. World peace, yes. If I got to shower today, not so much.
I think this started as a personal backlash to the prosperity gospel. Does God care if I have a cool house? I don't think so. But Jesus always addressed immediate needs, and his parables used ordinary things. To think God doesn't care about my day is, ultimately, to assume He doesn't care about me, because my life is just a string of days put together. It's not true; He does care about me and my life, and while it is not His yearning desire for me to have clean hair, my gratitude to Him for all things is.
So, here it is. I'm grateful for the silver linings in my week, such as:
1. We ordered a camera. Ours was stolen with my purse, and I take pictures every day. I'm just not willing to have babies without one. So, we got a good one - a digital SLR, which means no more pictures of the side of Asher's face. And because my husband is nothing if not a bargain hunter, we (he) found it for about half-price. Yay for us.
2. I do, in fact, have clean hair at this moment. Also, a cake in the oven. Cake gets double points.
3. Silas has been peaceful all morning. Thank you God.
4. A friend is coming to eat grilled cheese sandwiches at naptime today, which means I may actually finish a sentence while she is here.
5. My neighbors have started a local playgroup, and I can't tell you how excited I am about it. Right now we have to drive to do everything. I would love to have friends in walking distance; I would also love for Asher to have friends that live down the street. The older he gets, the more that will matter. They started the week Silas was born, so Thursday will be my first opportunity to join them.
6. Best of all - I love Brian. Today is our 8th anniversary, and I'm so thankful to be in a relationship where we still like and appreciate each other. The value of that is not lost on me.
7. Silas is still eating around the clock (of course), but he's starting to sleep through the middle of the night feeding. That's a good sign, and I'll take whatever good signs I can get about sleep.
Why are you thankful today?
Happy Tuesday everyone.