Wednesday, April 30, 2008

in which I dote unapologetically (and #4)

Have I mentioned before how much I love watching Asher learn to talk? It's my first chance to know what's going on in his little mind. His language has exploded in the past six weeks, going from about 5 words and about 10 signs at 14 months to easily 50 words (and a few new original signs) at 16 months. He's also on the cusp of putting two words together in phrases, but already he has made several associations, and groups words together on his own. And through this little stream of consciousness I am beginning to see the grid through which Asher understands his world.

As his language grows, his personality (and sense of independence) is becoming more apparent as well. Asher, so far, is a little observer. He enjoys being out, and will move away from me willingly to explore and play. He is fearless about trying new activities (especially on a playground), but is a little less brazen when approaching crowds or new people. Today he was squealing "balloon!" in the grocery store until he realized the woman behind us was smiling at his enthusiasm, at which point he stopped talking, stared at the woman, and pointed solemnly to the balloon. And, without fail, when we get in the car, he tells me about his day.

"Mikkee," he'll say from the back seat. "Airplane. Sky. Reach! Stretch! Slide." He's remembering watching the airplanes in Mikkee's yard, and stretching as far as he could, trying to touch them. He also remembers playing on the slide on the playground, which he did numerous times during our visit.

"Store. Balloon. Ride. Go." This is the grocery store cluster.

"Dad. Guitar. Dance. Truck," for his dad.

"Hat. Big Daddy. Marmee. Boat. Jack." That's my parents.

"Papa. Grandma. Flag. Gracie." Brian's parents.

"Outside. Truck. Grass. Ride. Wagon." The front yard.

"Keys. Bye-bye. Car. Steps. Scoot." For getting ready to leave the house.

It goes on and on. He can "read" books this way, quoting clusters of words for familiar books. I love it. I love watching him grow, I love hearing what he remembers, I love seeing him piece his life together into words. And I love that he wants to share all of it with us. I don't know how many times a day I stop and listen and wonder. Hearing my baby talk, and knowing he wants to talk to me, is a gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll keep sayin it till you get it. skype skye skype. i wanna see that growing boy!!

Laura Mielke said...

I would like to comment on #3. I am so happy for you and for your love for Brian, and his love for you. Love it. I really identified with what you said about being so "lucky" (you know what I mean) to have married such a great man at 22. You said you knew you were in love but had no idea what you really would need in a husband. I can look back over the last three years of my life and can remember my wedding day and how I felt that day. As I sat in the parlor, all alone, and listened to the chiming of the hour I literally said, "God, I know that I love this man and I know that I am supposed to marry him, but I am so scared and really hope that this is the right thing, there is no turning back now" (keeping in mind I had known Nick 7 months to the DAY of our wedding) Had you told me that day what marriage really is and how much we would need each other I would not have understood. I am so in love with Nick today that I question if I truly loved him at all as I made my vows to him. As I said, I knew it was what I was supposed to do... now I know exactly what it means. :*) Good stuff.