Saturday, October 13, 2007

on furniture, need, and lobby ladies

Shaun's lobby lady lives in my head.

We spent the day shopping for a piece of furniture. The truth is that Brian and I are basically cheap. We're not hoarding money, we just don't spend much at a time. It can be comical, it can be ridiculous, it can be rewarding. But that's just the way it is.

So we're trying to buy a piece of furniture, but part of our problem is the word "need." To say I NEED an entertainment center is false. I need food, my child needs warm clothes, I need a car. I don't NEED an entertainment center. So every price tag is eyed skeptically. I really think we found something (several things) today that other people would have bought easily. They looked nice, they were in our price range, they had all the features that we've agreed would be helpful. But we didn't buy any of them, because that's a lot of money for something you don't have to have. Eventually we will - we'll find a sale, or something secondhand, and that will be that. But today, cheap won out.

We were talking about money tonight (over dinner at a restaurant. We are cheap, but not hopelessly so). I feel like it's a highwire act, to live here, now, as a believer, knowing I will be held accountable for what I do with what I have. We were born into this economy at this moment in history. I don't feel comfortable with communes, so if I'm going to participate in this society, I'm going to have to spend some money. (See, here goes that lobby lady). Where's the balance? Entertainment centers are not inherently wrong. And what was the argument, Shaun? That God elevates some to humble others? Then who humbles the elevated? I can justify myself, to be sure. With my furniture and high speed internet and 10$ per lb coffee (because that is labeled a "need" in our home).

In the end, it was our friends in Kansas City who have taught us the most useful lessons on money. Todd believes in buying well, giving freely, and being thankful. He's right. God is our provider. Now that I've experienced his provision, I can't worry about money with a straight face anymore. Neither can I hold on to what I have with too tight a fist.

The Proverbs say, "Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you, and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." This has been true in our lives. We always seem to have just enough - never much excess, but always enough. Furniture and coffee notwithstanding.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request."
1Cronicles 4:10 Being blessed.. is a wonderful thing. Enjoy what the Lord has provided and continue to share with others that it came from Him.

Anonymous said...

This is particularly well-timed. We have started to have a constant reminder going in our house. Zachary keeps telling us he "needs" things, and we keep telling him that he has everything he needs. He *wants* more trains and more train books.

Anonymous said...

i struggle with this ALL the time...I've gone from one extreme to another--from thinking i "need" when I don't to going without to prove that I'm not materialistic. I waver somewhere in the middle now--feeling guilty when I buy nice things...getting mad when the things I bought for cheap fall apart...wondering if I'm giving enough to the poor...spontaneously giving a lot to someone in need. I'm so extreme when it comes to this issue, with no blanace yet whatsoever...I love what you said, or rather what Todd says, "buy well, give freely and be thankful"...that feels like a balance.

Heather said...

We tend to have just enough as well. Instead of coffee, Corey sees ESPN as a need, but that's neither here nor there. LOL!

M'elle said...

Yes, yes, yes. Very good question/thoughts.
Should I spend a huge chunk of change getting central air in the house, or carry on with the window units? It seems SO extravagant sometimes, but, we're in the South for crying out loud!
So I feel your pain with the EC.
However, someone down the street had their toe nearly cut off by a TV falling on it just this evening! Could an entertainment center better/more safely house a TV (I know that's not your point here)?
Anyway, I do like this post and I am glad to know that others sturggle with the same needs (I was out of coffee for two days this weekend -YIKES!).
I am randomly rambling - I should probably do that at my own bog!

Sam said...

Great post. I thought M'elle and I were the cheapest couple in town. We are constantly praying to be good stewards of what God has blessed us with.
Sam