Wednesday, October 17, 2007

interview

I was interviewed by Emily. The deal is, I post my answers here. If you want me to interview you, leave a note in the comments or email me, and I'll send you some questions for you to answer on your blog.

1). You always strike me as very non-judgemental. What is one thing you find yourself judging others on?
I used to be pretty critical of parents whose children were out of control, but I now see that the whole temperament business is legitimate.
I have no empathy for people who are not motivated by love for their children. I just don't get them. At all.

2). What is one thing that makes you angry, in spite of yourself?
Recently I have become aware of how dependent I am on having a sense of order, and how badly I respond when my routine is interrupted. I am almost always irritated when Brian stops to talk to a neighbor on the street (I never stop, because I'm WALKING, not talking, right now, thanks). Or when the sales lady at the shoe department pressures me into making decisions about arch and ankle supports. I didn't come to the store to make decisions! I came to buy something cute! So, yeah, disruption brings out the worst in me. PS I hate surprise parties, too. I don't mind parties, just don't surprise me, ok?

3) What are five words you hope your child never learns and why?
There are about 1,005 words I would like for Asher to never learn, but unfortunately, I don't have that kind of power in his life indefinitely. How about five words I'd like for him to never experience? I'm sure you can guess what they are.

Hatred - It would grieve me to know that he was applying his passion and desire and energy toward the destruction of another person, regardless of the circumstances.
Complacency - Brian and I often tell one another that we'd rather fall flat on our faces that trip trying to back up. Which is to say - Brian and I are both passionate people, and it would be disconcerting to both of us to raise children who aren't stirred up by things.
Rejection - of course this one will eventually happen. But if wishing made it so.
Unbelief - I hope he shares our faith. Ultimately it's beyond my control, but my prayer for him is that he will.
That's only four, but those are the first ones that come to mind.

4) How do you feel when meeting new people?

I really enjoy making new friends, but after several years of doing it continuously, I'm a little worn out with the process. It used to be my favorite thing, to get to know a new person. But by now, I enjoy the comfort of being around people who already know all my stories.

8 comments:

Liz said...

ohhh...emily, what a great idea! i like this...i want to play! :)

you know, belief is something i pray over for asher all the time. i know it will be his decision, and that he is already ahead of the game with the best role models, but i pray every day that he grows up to be a faithful believer like his mom and dad! :)

Heather said...

I know what you mean about getting to know a new person. The novelty seems to wear off eventually. I am glad you still loved it back when I married Corey.

Ok, Emily interviewed me. Can I still be interviewed by you as well?

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hi,

Thank you so much for your post on our blog. I LOVE being at home with Owen. We have been through a lot since we came home so we have not been able to go and do a lot of the fun things stay-at-home moms get to do with their children yet so I am very excited that I can do them now that Owen is ready, and I am able (I've been on semi-bedrest b/c I was pregnant--surprise!--but I am having a miscarriage right now (found out yesterday...will blog about it when I feel I can talk about it more).

I can't wait to take Owen to the zoo, to playgroup with my other friends and their children, to visit his grandparents, and so much more. As hard as it was to leave work, I know without a doubt it was the best decision for us at this time, and I do cherish each and every moment I get to spend with Owen. He is incredibly sweet and is the happiest little boy I've ever known. He is such a joy to be with!!

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I'm glad to know about your blog too! :)
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

This is the final proof that we were separated at birth. The word "Hate" is the word I most do not want my children to learn.

Liz said...

i realize in my comment, it makes it look as though i am asking emily to interview me - which that is great and all, but sadly, i dont really know you emily. if you want to interview me, wonderful...but i had intended to mean for stephanie to. though the more the merrier! :)

Catherine said...

Ah, I love the interview meme. You always learn such great stuff about people...

Great four words...I think I'd pick the same. Augh, I feel sad just thinking about it...

catherine

Cindy said...

i'll play too.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!