Tuesday, September 11, 2007

clear eyes, full hearts

CAN'T LOSE.

I'm deep into the first season of Friday Night Lights, and this is all I have to say about it. Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose. Isn't that a great phrase? You have to say it as a chant to get the full effect. And you really need some high school football players with their helmets in the air to back you up ... but you get the picture. How can you not love this show? Although when you watch the episodes back to back you start to see some holes in the plot. Such as - why doesn't the sun ever shine? And when do they go to class? Why didn't Jason Street go back to school? Why hasn't social services intervened in the Riggins home? Things like that. Even so, it's my new favorite program. And I don't even like TV. Not much, anyway.

It's the kind of week where my external life is rolling right along, and my internal life is processing, so I'm afraid I don't have much to report. Naps are still iffy, but my attitude about them is better, so that's something. Asher has started waving hi to his dad when he sees him. Also - if you see Brian this week, ask him about the guy at the stoplight with his bass turned up to a visceral level in rural Alabama today. He turned off his music to compliment Brian on the George Clinton he was blaring from the state car. We want the funk ...

Last thing - Happy Birthday Elizabeth. I hope you find an Americanish birthday cake in Hong Kong. And clear eyes, full hearts can't lose.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was turning the mother out like the song said to.

Liz said...

Thanks Steph! Its true, clear eyes and a full heart can't lose - but sometimes, its ok for your eyes to be a little teary, and your heart to be full too. :) I am glad that you have a better attitude towards Asher's lack of naps - and I hope that he gets himself back on a schedule soon!!!

Love you and miss you!!

Nick M. said...

As of last night we are up through episode 5. We are trying furiously to get through before the new season begins (I don't know if we will make it or not but we will start DVR'ing them anyhow). It was good to see you at breakfast yesterday.

Heather said...

We are doing somewhat better with naptimes here too. Not fixed, but improving.

Is that the show about the team in Hoover?

Jason said...

Such a great show .....Nick and Laura have my DVD's right now ....I rewatched them all in a weekend....Cant wait for the new season ....

Anonymous said...

AH. Mr. H has to get on it. He needs to watch it before the new season comes out but it is in our netflix queue BEHIND ROME and DEXTER so considering our schedules, we'll get to it at least by christmas. BLAH. LOVE IT.