Friday, June 08, 2007

on hypocrisy, gratitude, and service

If you want this to make sense, read Lane's question first.

I don't know. I don't think I have an answer, or even a strong opinion, just some comments. I understand the reasoning behind salaries for ministers - paying them allows them - us - to be focused on the task at hand. It means our energy can be put completely into serving others, rather than paying the bills. One minister joked that the intercessors in the prayer room - who raise support, similar to missionaries - were spending half their prayer time saying, "Dear God, the rent is due." Maybe they are. If they were earning middle class salaries, would they be able to concentrate better? Maybe. Brian and I both have almost always been paid for our service to the church. And we paid off a vehicle with the profits from Christian merchandise one summer. That was almost certainly hypocritical, but was also one brick in the path that led to the prayer room and the ability to live below the poverty line for a year. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. But I also know that poverty is honored in Scripture. Paul refused money so that people would take him seriously, but Jesus defended the Apostles receiving financial support from those who had benefited from their ministry. And I can't explain why I'm irked to see a minister driving a Lexus, but I am. I know what my reaction is to your question, but I'm not sure I can defend it. So, I don't know.

I also know from experience - softened as it was by the extraordinary graciousness of friends and family - the blessing of poverty. I could keep a blog that just focused on this one topic. It brings an acute awareness of our utter dependence on God. Like I said, because of the generosity of others I never went without a meal, nor did I sleep in my car. But there were many many moments where I could not imagine how we were going to get through last year without financial ruin. Somehow, we did. I appreciate what I have so much more than I did before that experience. Poverty also gave me a gratitude for the church, because I have experienced the generosity of believers. And the fruit of poverty has been a kind of peace and contentment that money just can't buy. So maybe it's not a question of hypocrisy as much as it is a missed opportunity. Maybe if we weren't so rich, we'd love God more.

No comments: