Friday, June 01, 2007

I really don't mean to imply that I'm arguing against prayer. I'm not, in any way. Stephanie says I'm really tripping over the sovereignty of God, and that it's my Presbyterian roots that are giving me trouble. Maybe so. She says (I really really wish she would comment here, because she has the BEST responses to our conversations) that maybe we all make too big of a deal out of God's will sometimes. That our life is a gift to us from God who loves us. Just as anyone who gives a gift wants the recipient to enjoy it, God wants us to enjoy our lives. Huh.

I think what I was noticing in my friend's comment the other day are ways that a prosperity gospel has infiltrated the mainstream church. And I'm pretty sensitive to that, because I don't believe God has promised any of us a life of ease. As far as common prayer versus personal prayer goes - I think I agree with Elizabeth and Valerie. It is one more scenario in which life is about balance.

Speaking of prayer - for those of you who feel so inclined -

There's a family at my church - Rita and William Andrews. They have teenage twins, and have adopted two little girls internationally with down syndrome. They left last week for Bogata, Colombia, where they will complete the adoption of two more little girls who are biological sisters. The older of the two, Gabriella, is five years old and has down syndrome. The Andrews arrived at the orphanage on Monday to find Gabriella sick. Yesterday she was admitted to the hospital with double bacterial pneumonia. The Andrews now have a sick child in a foreign hospital; they don't speak the language, and the orphanage has been clear that the Andrews will be responsible for all of her medical care, and their insurance won't cover them because they are overseas. If you feel so inclined, please keep the Andrews family in your prayers this weekend.

Happy Friday, everyone.

2 comments:

The Bean said...

I'm confused, who wrote this?

Stephanie said...

I - Stephanie, Asher's mom - wrote this. The confusion is probably that my friend Stephanie - Georgia and Sawyer's mom - and I have the same name. And describing a conversation with her probably sounds like I'm referring to myself in third person. Sorry for the confusion.