Sunday, June 03, 2007

a baby post - because i'm ready to change the subject

A piece of advice for my pregnant friends and acquaintances: unless you have a specific problem that comes up after the baby is born, skip the baby books. I know that pregnancy books are helpful, so it feels like baby books will be too, but I promise you will be glad you didn't read them. I spent the first three months trying to unlearn what the books told me I had to do. Add the "have to" pressure to crazy hormones, sleep deprivation, and recovering from surgery, and you can see why I was a little, um, off for a few months. The best thing you can do to get ready for the baby is to find someone you know and trust who has kids that you like. And then buy them dinner. Often, in fact. Because in a few months you're going to need to be able to call them and say, "What the heck just happened to my baby?" And believe it or not, they'll know.

I have two friends - Carrie and Stephanie (Georgia and Sawyer's mom, not myself as third person) - that I call regularly to say, what the heck? Honestly, if I didn't have someone to call for advice, I would have no clue what to do sometimes. I just don't know how you're supposed to know this stuff unless someone tells you. Instincts are helpful and important, but some of it is counterintuitive.

Anyone who says babies will sleep when they're tired and eat when they're hungry has never had one of their own.

3 comments:

Kat @ Inspired To Action said...

"Anyone who says babies will sleep when they're tired and eat when they're hungry has never had one of their own."

SO true.

As I type, I'm trying to figure out my 2 month old's nap schedule. It's currently nonexistent and even though he's my third, I still have no idea how much and how often he's supposed to be sleeping.

ugh.

Stephanie said...

GOOD LUCK, Kat. The first three months with sleeping were not fun for us!

Emily Delikat said...

Hey...just wanted to share that I am one of those preggo friends you are talking to:-). Andy and I are due in December!