Friday, June 22, 2007

and they're off

The 40 Day Fast starts today; Kat is fasting for child hunger and talking about Compassion International. She says that the nutritional needs of the world's poorest children could be met with $19 billion a year. Meanwhile, in the western world,

* We spend $18 billion annually on makeup alone.
* We spend $17 billion on pet food.
* We spend $11 billion on ice cream.
* We spend $35 billion on bottled water.

What I want to know is, WHO spends $18 billion on make-up? I spend about 18$ a year on make-up. If that. My household does contribute to the pet food and ice cream industries, though. But we try not to buy bottled water unless we don't have a choice. ANYWAY - that's what's happening today in the 40 Day Fast.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

While I appreciate Kat's facts from Compassion and believe we all should pay attention to our spending, I don't think that money is the problem in fulfilling the nutritional needs of the world's poorest children. The impact of international governments, power/control, channels of food distribution,...these are the things impacting malnourishment and starvation around the world. It's all a bit more complicated, imo.

Amy said...

Cindy, I agree that it's complicated.

I would just like to say, I spend some money on make-up. Well, really mostly skincare is expensive, but I do try to find the best possible deals!

Cindy said...

Me too, Amy (on the make-up and skincare spending). If you haven't read the book "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" I'd recommend it. Most public libraries have a copy (look for the most recent edition, I think she's up to the 6th).

It's saved me a ton on skincare/make-up.

Nick M. said...

The ice cream number might actually be just a little low. I watched a news report recently that put our consumption in the U.S. ALONE at 20 Billion.

Heather said...

I buy make up on occasion, but not that much. I do know people, however, who only buy the most expensive make up and buy new products a few times a week. It seems like an addiction for some.