Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I've started about four posts, but I'm so tired that they all end up sounding bitter, with a sarcastic i'm-joking-but-i'm-not-kidding feel to them. So, I've written, read, and then deleted off and on all morning.

What I keep trying to say - without any sinister cackling or eye rolling - is that I am t-i-r-e-d. The baby and I have had a series of hard days, which has left me with a question for you. If you are a mom and have chosen to follow a schedule for your baby, how do you balance that schedule with the rest of life? If I adhere strictly to the best sleeping schedule for him, I can't get anything else done. Seriously - he has about an hour and a half window between when he finishes eating and when he falls asleep again. If I'm lucky, I may be able to run to the post office during that time, but I can't go to the grocery store or see a friend. So we usually do the best we can, but after five days of doing the best we can, Asher and I are both chronically sleepy and irritable. Any suggestions?

Taylor is at the groomers. They asked me to bring in his shot records - which are, for all that I know, still in the basement in Kansas - and when I didn't have them, they asked me to fax them in this morning. Insert rolling eyes here.

Take a nap on my behalf today. With any luck, I'll be in a better mood tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember not getting much done. I was not super strict to a shedule, but I made sure David was home for 2 naps a day. That often meant not shopping until Corey got home or else having a cranky baby b/c I did that and screwed up his nap time.

I am still tired, but now I am free to do a lot more. So, it comes with time. Sucks to hear. At least, I got sick of hearing it when the boys are infants.

The Bean said...

I am the complete opposite. We didn't make Baby Bean actually stick to a schedule until she was 1. She got the naps she needed wherever we were. I always went out shopping or running errands or visiting friends and if she was a sleep in her car seat she stayed in it and I carried her around in it while she was sleeping. She had her moments when she would be cranky for a few days but then she was back to herself again. We started a bath, teeth, bedtime schedule for her at age 1 but we don't let it limit what we do. If we want to go to a friends house for dinner we don't cut them off at 7:30 to make it home in time to get her started on everything. A day or two a week of not using the exact same time has never affected her and a lot of times we vary the start time of her nighttime routines by 15-30 minutes earlier or later depending on her signs of sleepiness. Hope this helps!

buf said...

not a mother, but I'm betting MY mother didn't adhere to the strictest schedule...naps are naps, but life goes on - and babies for zillions of years made their OWN sleeping schedules...their moms still had LIFE to live. it's not prison...it's just living. still gotta see friends, still gotta hit the P.O., still gotta run out for Starbucks when the urge strikes. I vote for the Bean's answer up there. schedules are guidelines, not stone commandments, I'd say. - jane'

Stephanie said...

It's not a matter of following a schedule based on a book or something - this is following what Asher wants/ needs to be happy for the rest of the day. That's what makes it more complicated.