Thursday, December 08, 2005

Statement, Confession, Quote

1. My home's in Alabama, no matter where I lay my head (egg, whatever) ... Alabama really is a beautiful state. My dad was right - the winters here are really nice. I am excited about spending a few weeks in Alabama and seeing my Southeastern family and friends. But I have also missed the Searcys, IHOP, even K.C. every day since we left. It is great to be home, and it will be great to go back.

2. We had the most interesting conversation with our friends Wes and Kimberly about homesteading, or "possum living" ( http://www.f4.ca/text/possumliving.htm) a few days ago. While there are a few ways in which that idea appeals to me, I don't think I could do it. Honestly, I like driving a car and drinking Starbucks coffee too much; I need to at least keep my foot in the door of the money economy. I've heard Halle say something similar when people ask if she makes her own clothes and food (I guess this is the stereotype - if you have a lot of kids, and you homeschool them, you must also make your own flour and t-shirts). Halle always responds, "I don't have time to do all of that. I have too many kids! I'm going to Old Navy."

3. "Is it too much to believe that one can feel God's tender touch in the sermon and learn more of his ways and means during worship? Is it too much to expect that one might return home on Sunday afternoon having both learned and loved, having been stretched both mentally and emotionally, having been both edified by a biblical text and healed of a physical affliction? Dare we hope to strive and settle for anything less than both the thrill of theological insight and deliverance from demonic oppression?" taken from Convergence: Spiritual Journeys of a Charismatic Calvinist, by Sam Storms.

No comments: