Saturday, November 26, 2005

megachurches and isaiah

Good morning.

Because I don't have consistent computer access, I have started writing posts by hand and then typing them out (rather than thinking as I type). I usually have a library-imposed time limit, and writing gives me time to think about what I'm saying. I currently have three different posts written out, and I'd intended to use at least one of them this morning. But I'm not going to. Mary, I just read your most recent post. This is my response:

"Woe to the obstinate children," declares the Lord,
"To those who carry out plans that are not mine,
forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit,
heaping sin upon sin ...
Though they have officials in Zoan
and their envoys have arrived in Hanes,
everyone will be put to shame
because of a people useless to them,
who bring neither help nor advantage
but only shame and disgrace ...
These are rebellious people, deceitful children,
children unwilling to listen to the Lord's instruction.
They say to the seers, 'See no more visions!'
and to the prophets, 'Give us no more visions of what is right!
Tell us pleasant things,
prophesy illusions.
Leave this way,
Get off this path
and stop confronting us with the Holy one of Israel."
Isaiah 30: 1,4-5, 9-11

I have experienced what I can honestly call the fear of the Lord only twice in my life. The first time was this summer, during prayer. The second time was a week or so ago, when I was encouraged to read Isaiah 30. I read this Scripture the morning before we met with a pastor about possibly working with him, and I was so unnerved by the passage that we seriously considered cancelling our meeting. Here's what stands out to me about this Scripture: they are still the children of God, they just started making plans of their own. They didn't ask God where to go; instead, they were doing what made sense to them. They joined up with others who were doing the same, and their alliances were not led by the Holy Spirit. It scares me, because most of what happens in the modern church is a person's idea; most churches are seeing what's working, and following other churches, rather than following God. Our alliances are based on logic, not the Holy Spirit.

"These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;
their teachings are but rules taught by men."
Matthew 15:8-9 (Jesus is quoting Isaiah 29:13)

Is the modern American mainstream church worshipping God, or worshipping the success of megachurches? Are we using guidelines motivated to help ourselves,or are we asking God to heal us? Are we worshipping the form - including the liturgy in stone cathedrals and the 'edginess' of church plants in high school gyms - or a Savior?

Everyone is afraid of these kinds of conversations, because they don't want to be seen as judgmental, nor do they want other people judging them. But wisdom and discernment are given to us by God. It is the responsibility of all believers to hold someone's teaching up to Scripture. It is our responsibility to test everything, to avoid making alliances that are not Spirit led, to protect ourselves from lies and deception. I am not speaking against a specific megachurch or a specific bestselling book here ... all I'm saying is to be alert. Be careful of who you are reading and following, be careful of who is guiding your thoughts about God and life.

I'll close with this:
"Guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith. Grace be with you."
1 Tim 6:20

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Weird how you were never anywhere near this spiritual and in-tune with scripture while you were working at the church...

Stephanie said...

Hey Val,

I agree that it is weird. The most spiritually depleted I've ever felt was our past year of working at the church. When I worked in Eclectic, the opposite was true ... not sure what that's about ...

also, it is EASY to be spiritual while living at IHOP. in some respects, this is an easy way to live.

ssg