Thursday, August 12, 2010

Can I just sing the praises of longevity for a minute?

Brian and I are in a little bit of a stressful moment in our lives. It's not earth-shattering stressful, just normal stresses compounding on one another. We have more-than-usual obligations of both our time and money, and while both of those decisions were made willingly, we unwillingly created a pressure cooker for our family. Add strep throat and shake until foamy and irritable.

Alas.

Anyway, longevity - there was a point in our marriage (one that some of you will remember well, band family) when time constraints plus money constraints plus additional pressure at home would have equaled Brian and I yelling at each other over the phone at 1 a.m. while he was out of town for a gig. Ten years later, I can call him and say, "Okay. This is not your fault, and this is not anything you have done TO me in any way. But here is where we are, and something has to give, because this pace is not sustainable." And he says in response, "You're right, it's not. I don't know what the answer is, but we'll figure it out together."

I love that man.

And I love that we've been married long enough to know how to talk to each other, and to approach problems together, rather than turning them into a personal affront. I'm really glad for where we are in our marriage. Because this other stuff? Will totally work out.

In other news, the kids are feeling better. Not quite 100%, but better. Last night, though, Asher and I had a Come to Jesus moment. I said, "Asher, you have used up all of my patience today." He smiled - smiled! - and said, "Yeah, I did." Paused, then said, "But Mama, God will give you more patience."

Indeed, Son.

Happy Thursday.

1 comment:

Heather said...

AMEN!