Thursday, March 18, 2010

Okay. I want to make palmiers, which we used to order religiously at our favorite bakery in Nashville. Every single recipe on the internet tells me to use puff pastry, but I swear the ones we ate were made from phyllo dough. Am I just making this up, or is that possible? Or does something happen to puff pastry when you roll it up that I'm not expecting? Puff pastry that I've eaten has always been soft - the palmiers we ate were crunchy. Anyone have any insight? Bueller? Anyone?

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Yeah, it's puff pastry- it gets crunchy because of the carmelization of the sugar. I don't think phyllo would make a cookie like that, just a flaky mess.

Those things are so good...

Michelle said...

that was interesting because I just always thought the 2 were the same thing, different (regional) names. But due to this post and google I now know otherwise. And I also found out puff pastry has it's own website - www.puffpastry.com, who knew...

Jamie said...

I have no idea what palmiers are but I want one now.
Says the pregnant lady.