Friday, May 29, 2009

ramblings at the end of a long day

In no particular order:

1. I left the house twelve hours ago and just walked in the door. I worked this morning and this afternoon (same client, two different meetings) and in between had my kids up at my parents' house at the lake, which is a job in itself. Now I am home, I am tired, I am feeling a bit persnickety, and I am glad I don't have to do this every day.

2. I would like to make this statement to the general public for the next five years: I am not disabled, I just have small children. Yes, I am busy. Yes, I have my hands full. But I am SICK TO DEATH of the implication that I'm somehow miserable, exhausted beyond reason, or unable to cope with my life just because I have two small children. So very tired of it. Even when they are screaming, my children are a blessing. I can be both tired and fulfilled, exasperated and content, at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. The end.

3. Speaking of, let's talk about discipline. I usually avoid the topic online because people are so opinionated, but I need a little reality check - what do you expect from your two-year-old? Should I be making a big deal about him not touching things in a new environment? What about following directions - what do you expect your child to do? How do you handle defiance in public? How do you handle meltdowns when there's an audience? How do you respond to disobedience in a two-year-old? I'll talk more about this when my head is less fuzzy, but I'd like some feedback in the meantime. If you don't mind.

4. Brian is watching Keith Olberman right now, and it just seems to me that the left is less likely to foam at the mouth than the right. But in general, I hate this stuff. Just so you guys know. I am nominally interested in the issues they are discussing, but argument for its own sake is miserable to me. I am not comfortable enough with conflict to endure it - I normally fold and just look for an out, so that I can make peace. I would be a terrible lawyer.

5. This is the weekend of the Front Yard - we're going to finish a few of the things we keep saying we're going to finish on the next pretty day. Seriously, no more procrastinating. We'll see how much we mean that.

And on that note, I say - "Good day sir. I said, 'Good day sir.' Why does nobody take me seriously when I say, 'Good day sir'?"

7 comments:

Lane said...

Exasperated and content...that is actually the way I feel about Keith Olbermann. I feel like he doesn't particularly add anything to the debate, and I'm usually very turned off by the ad hominem way he goes about his program, yet I'm also glad there is MSNBC night time television to sort of neutralize right wing talk that - admit it or not - played a HUGE role in dictating the conversation during Clinton's term.

Two cents.

Stephanie said...

I agree, Lane - I am glad there's another side presented. It is scary how much power Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity have, especially in my corner of the world.

Jason said...

It takes ALOT to get me really going when it comes to political talk. I am a lover of all things political but I much prefer good even talk and dialog than heated in your face stuff.
I have to admit that I dont watch much of the nightly talking heads simply because i either get too worked up or i just dont care about whats on at that moment.
Good post though ...

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda with you - I'll talk about it only if I have to. My father likes to aruge for arguements sake, and it drives me up the wall feeling like I have to constantly defend my political beliefs! Sigh.

Also, I just watched the "I said goodnight sire!" episode yesterday. :)

Kelly said...

Hmmm . . . I see I'm not missing out on much by having the 10-channel El Cheapo cable package. When I've stumbled across that sort of thing, I must say I'm unimpressed with the quality of discussion even when I agree with the position being argued. Or rather, not so much "argued" as "repeatedly shouted to a person repeatedly shouting his/her opposing view." Honestly, I think they all just like to hear themselves talk.

Love your blog, Stephanie!

Heather said...

Public meltdowns: If at all possible I remove my child from public until the meltdown is handled. If not possible, I have been known to simply ignore the meltdown and keep moving or else pull my child into my lap and hold him (whether he likes it or not) until the hysteria passes. But, removal is what works best. If we are in church, I will take him to the bathroom or nursery. If we are in a store, it is off to the bathroom. I have also stopped, in Walmart, and refused to move until whichever boy it is gets himself together. They hate shopping so badly that they straighten up pretty quickly at this threat.

Anonymous said...

I have to say to me discipline is a Big Deal. Not everyone believes in the same type of discipline but not all children react the same to certain types of discipline either.
Some kids hate time out and straighten up just mentioning it. Then other kids think it is a joke and continue to act up because it is nothing to them. You have to figure out what will work with you and your child.
Some parents believe in spanking (I do not mean beating them black and blue, that is a beating not a spanking) which worked very well for many years.
When your child is out and acting up of course you have to figure out some way to get them to straighten up, but if you say I am going to punish you by doing whatever when we get home then make sure you do just that when they get home, no matter how long it takes you to get there. Most toddlers like to see what and how far they can push you. Trust me I raised twins and the 2-4yrs of age is push the parent as far as you can. You have to be stearn and do not cave in because they are being so cute! They are doing it to get out of punishment!
Unfortunately if you do not let the child know who is boss when he/she is young then it will be to late when they get older!
You have to let them know who is boss!

Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Wendy