Wednesday, December 12, 2007

update

First:
10 weeks pregnant today, and so far so good. I have an appointment tomorrow and we will hopefully hear a heartbeat then. Of course anything is still possible, but I've never lost a baby this far into the pregnancy. So I feel pretty good about that. I'm beginning to believe we may actually have another baby.

Next:
Asher's birthday party is this Saturday, right? And I'm really not one to go over the top on things, not really, but I do LOVE to throw a party and he's my BABY and it's his FIRST and ... you can see how this goes. I sent out invitations to 25 families, knowing very well that my house is not really equipped to hold umpteen bajillion people. But it's Christmas time, and everyone is busy at Christmas anyway, and we had about half of the people we invited at his dedication, and about half will fit comfortably in my house.

Um, only one in-town family can't come. ONE. Out of 25.

Don't get me wrong, I'm THRILLED all of my friends and relations are coming to Asher's birthday party. I invited them because I love them and wanted them here. I just never dreamed they would all take me up on the offer.

This is me, taking deep breaths and assuring myself we'll all sit SOMEwhere.

Then:
The painters finished yesterday. Well, almost. They didn't get to the trim in one room, but they'll come back Monday. You know how this goes - any home improvement project costs more and takes more time than you expect it to. That's fine - our house looks SO much better. It looks clean and fresh. I'm anxious to do the rest of the house now ... but not this week. For now I need to get the china out of the sunroom and the laundry out of the dining room, because, dude, we're going to have umpteen bajillion people here in a few days.

Finally:
Did you hear? Asher is turning ONE! I really don't have a sappy post welling up in me. I expect to be sentimental on the night of the 18th (which is when I went into labor). I expect to always tell the story of how my water broke and how we weren't sure if that's what was happening or not, so we called Halle late in the evening to ask birthing-type questions, and how she laughed and told us to GO TO THE HOSPITAL, already. I expect my children to be able to roll their eyes and quote this story back to me, because it's one of my favorite memories ever. And I expect Asher to always know how much he is loved and how excited we were to have him.

BONUS UPDATE:
Asher's cutting two teeth at one time. He's surprisingly happy (he's ALWAYS surprisingly happy), but still - poor kid. Also. I was not previously informed that he would enter a SCREAMING stage. Not crying, just - screaming to communicate. When he sees food he wants - scream. When we put him down and he wanted to be held - scream. I cannot abide screaming. There is nothing about you screaming at me that will ever make me want to do what you want me to do. So we're working on a couple of signs ("please" and "eat") only because screaming is Not Okay with me. This age is both fun and exhausting; he's learning learning learning constantly.

Happy Thursday everyone.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!! pARR-TEY!

the good news is, it looks like Saturday will still be summer time (winter is scheduled to come back on Sunday) outside, so we'll just all hang out in your beautiful back yard!

seriously, there were people wearing shorts here yesterday. SHORTS in DECEMBER...so sad.

Stephanie said...

Yeah, we've had short sleeves and flip-flops on all week. We grilled out last night and sat on the back porch.

Stephanie said...

And it's going to be 72* and RAINING. BOO.

Emily said...

Oh, honey, you can teach him signs, but that won't shorten the screaming phase. Mine can talk just fine, but at this age they like to scream just to experiment with what they can do with their voices. Of course, it does not help that his brother eggs him on...

I hope, I hope, I hope two years from now, your Asher will be egging someone else on to scream...

The Bean said...

Happy Birthday Asher! Baby Bean sends her best as she approaches TWO on the 21st. Perhaps one day our Christmas babies will meet.

Nick M. said...

I am sure the party will be GREAT, and I am looking forward to seeing how the paint turned out.

Anonymous said...

I'm sad we are too far away to be the 26th family overcrowding your house. It is a very exciting day. Happy Birthday little man.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

YEA! Happy Birthday, Asher! I loved reading your thoughts on his birthday. Hope the party is lots of fun and hope you're doing well.
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are feeling well! This is wonderful news ; )
Have some extra crackers for me.