Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The thing is, I get very nervous about criticizing other believers. Because everyone - EVERY ONE - thinks whatever they are doing is the right way to live out their faith. Also, the only people who genuinely pissed Jesus off were the Pharisees. And the measure I use for others will be used in measuring my own life. I take the implications of that very seriously.

With that in mind - Brian reads theology forums, right? When he's not ridding the world of sweatshops or leading a rehearsal somewhere or leaping tall buildings in a single bound, that is. The forums are mostly ridiculous, and many of our dinnertime conversations involve some strange thing Brian read on a theology forum that day. Most of the time I roll my eyes and move on. But the Derek Webb forum hit a nerve a few days ago with wife spanking (termed "christian domestic discipline" http://blog.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/ - I'm at the laptop or I'd link it). It's too unbelievable to ignore.

The only truly dangerous aspect of the Internet is that it is as big and bright and dark and treacherous as the human imagination. "Domestic discipline" (otherwise known as BEATING YOUR WIFE) is an example of just how wrong we can be in the name of God.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Hmm... wife spanking could mean so many things. The things this means, however, are not good things. *shakes head*

Anonymous said...

I think I want to throw up!! I just read that website as far as I could handle without literally throwing my laptop across the room!! This makes me so angry I am literally shaking right now. What is wrong with people?! How does God's HOLY Word get SO distorted to come to something like that!? It is almost like something you would see on Law and Order - scary

Stephanie said...

That's what I did too, Elizabeth. Did you read the blog? The women talking about it? I had to quit after a while - I got too riled up.

Cindy said...

I can't even read it. Though I am not surprised. One of our counseling professors told us that the #1 call the police in our town get is for domestic disputes (typically involving physical abuse). AND the majority of the calls are from married student housing and not local residences (I am being vague here to not spill to many details about where I went to school, but you and elizabeth will get the idea). It always made me sick to think about students beating their spouses after they went home from their theology class or chapel. That's just crap.

Cindy said...

Okay, I couldn't help myself I read some of it. This is worse than what I thought. I am almost speechless. Really? Really there are people like this out there? I have to get out of this bubble, because this is unbelievable.

M'elle said...

Are they really being for real? I don't mean to sound naieve... I just can't believe it. I just can't.
Reminder spankings? This just has to be sexual...or just plain sick. And these people have children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am just speechless...

Mary said...

I don't think that is naive. Even if this actually does exist for real live actual people and even IF they believe in their minds that it is some sort of religious thing, all it is in reality is crazy f-ed up kinky s & m sexual sh*#. So, that's fine with me. Consenting adults and what not. However, I would prefer that these people need just join the regular crazy kinky sex groups on the internet and leave Christianity out of it. It's offensive.

What does make me want to vomit is the insulting articles on male v. female intelligence levels. What a crock of ignorant bullsh--.
sorry for the bleeped out language but it was warranted.

The Bean said...

That is nothing short of spousal abuse and should be reported by anyone who knows someone dealing with it.

Anonymous said...

My wife kinda enjoys getting spanked :o)