Tuesday, August 07, 2007

i promise this is not morphing into a purely "mommy" blog

But I'm doing well to focus on the next thing right now, and babies are perfect for creating a tyranny of the urgent. So. For now, baby stories and miscellany are all I can offer. I'll come back around to weightier topics eventually.

Having said that -

The last two weeks have been a blur of doctors appointments, phone calls, waiting, and medication. Asher spent a lot of time with his grandparents (praise God for grandparents), and, even when he was home, a lot of time out of his normal routine. I feel like I was in a fog for ten days. I woke up, looked down, and had a completely different baby. Somewhere in those ten days, Asher became a mover. He's no longer content to sit and talk with me. If he's in my lap, he's crawling over me to get the remote, my water, my book, whatever. He's also chosen this time to go on a Formula Strike. I didn't name it, by the way - the phone nurse at his pediatrician's office acted as though this were part of normal life for a baby. "Oh honey," she said in the older-Southern-I've-been-there voice that I LOVE, "That's just a formula strike. Keep him hydrated with water, give him yogurt for the calcium, and wait it out. He'll get over it." Now I ask you - were it not for Sweet Old Southern Phone Nurses, how in the WORLD would I ever have known that Formula Strikes exist, are temporary, and are nothing to worry about? Babies are such a mystery to me.

He's also on a napping strike, of sorts. He acts sleepy in the morning, but when I put him down, it takes him over an hour to go to sleep. I'm not arbitrarily putting him down. He's yawning, getting still, rubbing his eyes - all of Asher's cues that he is ready for bed. So why won't he sleep once he gets there? He's too young to drop his morning nap, right? (RIGHT, moms?) So what's that about?

Here's my theory - I think my baby has picked up on the stress in the house.

I'm working on a calmer atmosphere. Yesterday and today I've also been spending plenty of time on the floor playing, hoping that extra time will help him calm down. Poor kid - he doesn't understand what's going on (thankfully), but he definitely knows that the past few weeks have been different. I might go on a Formula Strike, too.

3 comments:

The Bean said...

Baby Bean never actually went on a formula strike but she doesn't really eat much now either. I think she ate more when she was on formula. Oh well. I seriously doubt he's trying to drop his morning nap already. Every time Baby Bean tries something new she does it for about a week and then moves on to something else for a week. Like her screaming like a banshee just to hear herself scream. I thought I was going to lose my mind. But a week later she was onto something else. She still takes naps and sometimes I manage to squeeze two out of her. Oh happy day when that happens! :)

Heather said...

He could be picking up on stress. He is also getting older. He might be ready for one nap a day. Or rather, he might be getting close to being ready for one nap a day, but isn't quite ready, so his body isn't sure HOW to act. Haydn went to one nap pretty young. David, on the other hand, took 2-3 naps a day until all of my friend's kids were well past it. And David is STILL a heavy sleeper.

Laura Mielke said...

I am going to have to sit this one out...