Saturday, July 21, 2007

the mountain of health

I wrote the best post in my head the other day.

Really, it was good. I was hiking along the south plateau loop in Monte Sano State Park, and I wrote to you all, to tell you how much I love the woods, how I breathe better out there, and This World is Not Conclusion, etc. I even brought a notepad with me and stopped at an overlook to write it all down, but somewhere along the way I'd lost my pen. Alas. So I had no choice but to keep walking and thinking poetic thoughts.

It was going to be really good, I promise. But now that I'm back in the apartment, with the laundry going and a sleeping baby in the next room, I can't remember the transitions. I can only remember phrases. So here it is - a bullet list that could have been magic, had I not dropped my Bic.

* Wednesday night Brian said, "One day, let's be the guy who lives at the state park. Let's have that job sometime." We started talking about all of the other jobs that would be fun - guides for rafting or hiking always always make the short list. It used to be our dream, to raft in the summer and ski in the winter. In the past year, I'd forgotten that. I'd traded possibility for health insurance. I believed the lie that consistency always trumps risk. Where we are is exactly where we want to be, for now. But this world is not Conclusion, remember? Neither is this town.

* In the woods I remembered who I am. The woman who lives in an apartment and goes to the grocery store and spends naptime drinking coffee with friends - it's not that it's not true, it's just incomplete. It's an abbreviated version of me. How did I let that other part go? I don't know.

* Silence is more than a state of being. It is also an emotion and an experience. Like Hawthorne's happiness and Dickinson's hope, silence, too, must find me. I always run into it with the same white-knuckled intensity I apply to everything else (to my detriment, usually). But when I approach it that way, it always eludes me. I notice the gnats, the ant on my toe, and wonder, when can I talk again? But Silence, she's tricky that way. Because once I feel it I don't want it to end.

* White-knuckled intensity has been the topic of conversation lately. Last week Brian said I always seem tense. I was shocked. Tense? I'm not! I love my life, even the repetition of it most of the time. As we talked, I saw that the drive, a concentration bordering on obsession I inherited unapologetically from my mother, that has served me well so far, was deceiving my husband. I'm not tense. I'm focused. I used to be focused on lots of things - a caseload of children who need, need, need; the next assignment; the next meal; the next bill; the next appointment ... Only now I'm just that focused on our home. Again, while I am exactly where I want to be right now, if I put this much attention into my children and home for their entire formative years, I fear it will become oppressive. In short, some day I'm going to need a job, so that I don't drive my family into therapy. But for now, if you see me furrowing my brow over the kitchen sink, don't mind me. I'm actually enjoying myself immensely.

5 comments:

Liz said...

i love the lack of transitions - i think your post makes more sense that way - because these are the ways we think!

when i come to alabama, we will walk (if not hike) and canoe - and maybe regain a little piece of you!

as for being the guy that lives at the state park - go for it - i can totally see you raising a family in the woods - with an extra little log cabin-style room for guests. :)

Heather said...

Some very good snippets. I love them. I would have to change the activities... no dreams of skiing or canoing for me. But, I can relate to the concept. Good thing we have books to intensely focus on when we need to.

Jeff, Carrie Kara Beth, Kaylan and Kaia said...

i remember the post-baby, "remembering" myself...I remember being so relieved that I wasn't REALLY this crazy control freak woman...it just took a little time for the mommy-me to merge with the Carrie-me...=) glad you found yourself...;)

Anonymous said...

Two things:
1) Yes -- someday you'll need a job so you don't make your kids crazy, but in the short term I think we all get tunnel vision. I have chosen to write and raise my kids -- I don't even read the news right now. I know that will change soon, but right now it is OK to be a really intense person who reads "David Gets in Trouble" thirty-two times in a row.

2) When we got married, the caterer had someone work on our wedding cake whose entire job was to scuplt in chocolate. I want THAT job.

BTW -- I'm glad we've "met"

M'elle said...

YOu know, Sam and I registered for ALL of this camping stuff, but neither one of us has ever really been camping, nor have we gone yet.... and we registered for a 10 PERSON tent! What were we thinking? Now we want to start a family and the tent hasn't even left the box. Want to go camping? There's enough room for the pack-n-play and a few dogs...