Thursday, July 05, 2007

If you want to make a million bucks,


learn how to check babies' ears for an infection. Seriously, I wish there was a screening station for the doctor's office. Don't you think there should be? Someone to say - yes, you need to see a doctor, or no, you just have the crud. I could walk in, sign in, and see a nurse within 15 minutes (this is how you KNOW this is a pipe dream). She could look at his ears and throat and tell me what I know is already coming. "Ears are fine. No strept. It's viral; go home." My life would be exactly three hours less complicated. Because it's always the crud, but how can I know for sure it's not his ears, unless I take him in? I lug us in, feed him in the waiting room, try very hard not to touch anything (like doorknobs and toys) that are especially germy, wait and wait and wait and wait and wait, spend a very few minutes with a very sweet pediatrician, and leave with a "crud" verdict every time. Argh. Are advanced degrees really necessary to look in someone's ears? Don't get me wrong - I L-O-V-E his pediatrician, but my life would go on if I saw her a little less often. I'm just sayin', is all.

P.S. Brian should go on a gameshow. I mean it. He retains information like no one you have ever seen, and he thinks well under pressure. I'm telling you - this guy can tear up some Wheel of Fortune.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Ayley tugs on her ear when she is tired....but everytime she does it I think...is she tired, or does her ear hurt...? I wish I had one of those things the Dr's use to check their ears, life would be so much easier....ps, my cousin just had a baby, she named him Asher.

Kim said...

ps again....i have a new computer...Yay, so I am back online now!!! I am also moving to Melbourne, Australia (rob's job)! More details to come....hope all is well at the Gates home

Heather said...

I asgree. Why not purchase new moms one of those ear light things and teach us what to look for. LOL!