Thursday, June 14, 2007

short and sweet: a quick thought on love and cliches

I realized something a few years ago - cliches exist because they describe a common experience. They may not be creative, but they work. They are only trite when the reader is removed from the emotion, but for those who can connect with the emotion (either from their own experience or from the power of the text), cliches don't seem, well, cliche at all.

Here's what I mean. All week I've been reading posts about parents and children. A few years ago I would have rolled my eyes and skimmed the posts; they would have felt canned and unoriginal to me. But now, I can't read them without tearing up. I get it now. I don't write more about Asher because what would I say? If you aren't a parent, I'm going to sound sentimental. And if you are, I don't need to say it. You already know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right. Having gone through a rather traumatic time recently, I found myself resorting to cliches to explain it to other people. I realized that it sounded trite, but I just didn't have any other words to describe the experience. Even poetry is more distant from the event and so doesn't work as well as a cliche to explain the raw emotion.h

The Bean said...

So true, so true. Are you coming to Little Brother Bean's Wedding????? I am dying to meet Asher.

Liz said...

just for the record, you can never tell enough Asher stories or post enough pictures. i dont get to be there all the time, and this is my way to hear those stories - keep posting, i love them, and i love the way you tell the stories. i miss you guys!!