Wednesday, June 27, 2007

in other news

I've started reading again. After the baby was born, I reread some of my favorites because books are like comfort food for me, and I wanted the familiarity. But last week I decided it was time to move on. So - not yet ready for heavy reading, I got several of the kinds of books you can read in an afternoon. Jodi Picoult, Jacqueline Mitchard, and Ann Lamott (her novels, not her nonfiction). Here's my opinion, if you are at all interested.

Ann Lamott - boo. All characters sound like herself as presented in nonfiction, only sadder and with no plot development. I much prefer her nonfiction, where she doesn't need a plot and can be funny and poignant without trying to develop a character.

Jodi Picoult is okay, but it reads like a Lifetime movie. I know some of you love her, and I keep trying to, as well, but it's just not happening. Not so far, anyway.

I like Jacqueline Mitchard better. She's similar to Jodi Picoult in the tragedy-turned-hopeful-with-a-plot-twist formula, but I think she's a better writer. She's got better characters, too. Less predictable.

For what it's worth.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Ah, but which Jodi book? THAT has a lot to do with your take on Jodi.

I read a Mitchard and didn't care for the ending. Too happily wrapped up.

Stephanie said...

I've read My Sister's Keeper and Vanishing Acts.

Amy said...

Two of Jodi's books have been lifetime movies and two more are going to be so that's funny you say that. I've only just begun my first book by her.

I read the Most Depressing Christmas Book Ever by Mitchard.