Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nine comments in one day - I didn't know I still had nine readers left. Thanks for speaking up.

At the risk of shattering whatever reputation I may have for a quasi-interesting blog, here's a long overdue update on daily life.

- My mom's book is finished and published and for sale at www.coosariverbooks.com. It is also in a few local bookstores in the area; she'll be at the Alabama Book Festival this weekend, too. Even if you aren't interested in buying one, check out the website to see the cover. Brian took the cover photo.

- As you can probably tell from previous posts, my conscience has been bothering me lately. I have been learning all of this - stuff - about church and culture and politics, and have been frustrated at how little power I have to change anything. As usual, it was Brian who talked me down. He said that talking is what we can do. The power to change is in our words. He's right.

- Asher started eating cereal last week. He hates it. I think it isn't the cereal that he hates, as much as he's always superhungry when I'm feeding him (of course) and a spoon is not nearly as efficient as a bottle. Brian refers to breakfast as his Daily Torture. This morning he told Asher, "Just give it up, buddy. Tell her what she wants to hear." By the way, if you're going to be in the tricounty area on Memorial Day weekend, we're planning on dedicating Asher then. Consider yourself invited.

- I need a little more object permanence in my life. Babies don't have it, which is normally exceedingly helpful to parents. Object permanence is the understanding that an object exists outside of my immediate experience of it. It's why peek-a-boo and the uh-oh game are AMAZING to babies - when they can't see you, they think you aren't there, and then suddenly, there you are! So fun. It's also why you can put a toy on top of the refrigerator, and your child will forget it ever existed. Anyway, my baby used to be content to kick and squirm and talk to his toys in the living room while I clean the kitchen or do whatever. Now, suddenly, if he can't see me he is SO sad and lonely and wants me to COME BACK ALREADY. A little better understanding of object permanence would be good for all of us.

- Someone said recently that since I never mention Brian's new job, they were afraid it wasn't going well. It's actually the opposite - no news is good news. Brian loves his new job, just so you know.

- I remember thinking right after September 11 how boring and trivial the news was on September 10. I began to miss the non-news stories. Today, I had the same feeling. In the past few weeks, the news stations have fixated on Anna Nicole and Don Imus and the weather. Today they are talking about 60 people (60!) killed or wounded in Virginia. Sad.

- Finally, a quote. Again with The Wailin' Jennys, because I can't get enough of them.

I will not rest
until this place is full of sunlight
or at least until the darkness
is quiet for a while
And we will not wait
for that murder to come calling
The night will simply fall
and the morning will rise

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once I get paid, I am so buying your mom's book. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug, Stephanie. And Brian's cover does look beautiful.
If any of you would like to get the book now and pay later, just e-mail me with your address (Susanshehane@aol.com), and I'll send you a bill for $12, which includes postage.

By the way, for those of you who don't know, Stephanie and Allison played a huge role in helping me to plan the book (Stephanie also did some editing in the early stages). Allison was hugely responsible for my overall understanding -- and she helped me fill in the gaps. I hope you'll want to read the book... Please see Brian's photo and some clips at www.coosariverbooks.com

Love to all-Susan