Tuesday, June 06, 2006

whoever said being green was easy lost his mind.

Today's 6-6-06, and that gives me the creeps, and I'm not a particularly superstitious person.

I like the name "Brennan" for a boy, but I'm afraid it's like the name "Taylor" (for a boy, not a dog). 15 years ago it was a great boy name, and now it's been used for girls so often it sounds effeminate. Anyone want to weigh in on this? Is "Brennan" the next "Taylor"?

Today is voting day, but I'm not registered in Alabama. It will be the first election since my 18th birthday that I've missed.

I don't write much these days because I'm TIRED of talking about us - I'm tired of thinking and talking and thinking again about where we are, how we got there, where we're going. We thought we had a plan, then we didn't, then we did. Now God seems to be redirecting us toward a church. We have a love-hate relationship with church ministry - we believe in it but just can't bring ourselves to do it, when you boil it all down - but God's just not letting us out of it. When Domino's Pizza doesn't call back, friends, it's time to pay attention.

I've been thinking about religion and literature, and have wanted to blog about it. But I'm too tired - tired from being pregnant and tired of our extended transition and tired of hearing myself talk - so I'll save it for when I have more energy.

Next week I'll be twelve weeks pregnant. I've almost hit the first milestone - end of the first trimester, still with child. I have ultrasound pictures that I could share, but don't have access to the technology right now. Maybe I'll get Nick to scan next week's ultrasound so the world can have its first look at Baby Gates.

That's all for now.

7 comments:

me said...

i like that name. if you think it might turn out to be the next taylor you could go with brendan instead.

Anonymous said...

I so want to see Baby Gates. And yeah, God seems ot have His hands heavily in your life, Steph. I dunno what he is up to, but you are too awesome of a mentor not to be mentoring somewhere somehow. If Church is how He hcooses to use you, so be it. (Easy for me to say, huh?)

Anonymous said...

PS Love Brennen. I know a lil boy by that name but no girls.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering why it matters if the name can be used for boys or girls...you're not phobic and its a great name. If its a he, he will be his own person...no one will say, "Gosh, isn't your name a girl name?" It's not like you're naming him Tiffany or Amy :)

The Bean said...

I like the name but I can difinitely see where it could end up being the next Taylor. We had a HORRIBLE time trying to come up with a boys name. Thankfully we got to pick a girls name. :) Do you have any girls names in mind???

Ciona said...

Hey there! I've not visited The Green Life in a while . . . so a major congratulations is in order and way overdue! I'm so happy for you two!

Get to Nashville soon, and we can hang out!

me said...

I told Brian when he was up here about a great book that two girls at my work read while they wre pregnant. They had tried reading other ones that "freaked them out" because of all of the scary warnings etc. But they said this one was cool and recommend it to anyone. It is called The Journal by Christine Harris. Pick up a copy!!!