Monday, January 23, 2006

A few thoughts on life in a coffee shop

1. It's just COFFEE. For Pete's sake.

2. People spill their guts over their lattes. I've done it too, but - wow - I bet once a day I see someone crying in the cafe. I've also overheard a few deep dark secrets while cleaning the condiment bar. Yikes.

3. Good shoes are a necessary part of life if one intends to stand up for the majority of one's waking hours.

4. I helped a kid buy a gift for a girl yesterday (he was probably 8). He had $2.92 and he wanted to buy something GOOD but he also wanted to have some money left for Wal-mart. He settled on chewing gum and then put his Wal-mart money in the tip jar. It made my day.

5. If you're going through a drive-thru, do not A. scream at anyone in your car; B. sing; C. talk on your cell phone; D. CUT in line (see #1). And yes, the people behind the microphone ARE laughing at you.

6. Overall, I really like my job. I like the structure, I like learning something new (even if it is just coffee). I like being a part of the work force again. The worst part: I spend a lot of my day staring at the register looking for a particular obscure button (like organic milk - how you gonna come to a coffee shop and spend a mint on high priced junk food and then worry about the quality of your milk?). The best part: I love the smells of all of that high priced junk food early in the morning.

Feel free to keep talking about prayer. I'm still working out my thoughts ... I think I've bitten off more than I can chew with this conversation.

Love to you all. Especially the lurkers - Margaret, Cindy, Mikkee, etc. Glad to know you're out there.

Good night,
ssg

3 comments:

buf said...

bwa ha ha ha I feel the SAME way about Hallmark cards. Retail is ...well. a unique experience!
and, in response to your message that I should stop thinking crazy thoughts...if I did THAT, I wouldn't have no friends! Sheesh! -- Janet

Ciona said...

How fun! My friend (and fellow writer) Kami works at *bucks and also tells some of the most fun stories. Usually in person, she tells them, but sometimes on her blog: www.kamirice.blogspot.com.

Coffee houses are so fun!

Liz said...

If you are going to get a tattoo, first off don't call it a tat - that is just silly. =) Secondly, get it somewhere fleshy - it doesn't hurt as much. I got mine (yes, finally!) on the right side of my lower back and I could barely feel it. =)