Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Week 1 in Kansas

is good.

We have a little studio apartment in the basement of the Searcys'. You wouldn't believe how much they have done to create a home for us. We have a bed, closet, shelf, TV/DVD player, sitting area, table for two, good lighting, a coffee pot, fresh flowers, and pictures on the walls ... if we had a bathroom and kitchen, we could be completely self-sufficient. What they're doing - opening their lives and their basement - is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever done for us. Seriously. Brian and I are making the transition to communal living pretty well, I think. It's really only quiet at night, and by then the adults are so tired that we all just kind of sit and stare at one another. Meals are very different but FUN. So far so good.

I've been to the prayer room (called the International House of Prayer, or IHOP) a few times now. People have been worshipping and praying in this place twenty four hours a day for six years. I'm still processing my experience of it. For now, I only have impressions to offer. First impressions: It isn't nearly as weird as I thought it would be. The worship team goes in two hour shifts, and the pray-ers come and go as they wish. We went yesterday about 5 am, and there were probably a hundred people there. There are 450 people "on staff", which is to say that they raise support and live as intercessory missionaries, spending their days in prayer. I have been overwhelmed a little by the spiritual experience of the prayer room. The presence of the Holy Spirit is evident, but it isn't scary or uncomfortable (as I'd imagined it to be). They have church-type services on Friday and Saturday nights, so I'm looking forward to seeing what that's like.

So far, we haven't been homesick for Alabama. Kansas City itself is unremarkable - big and industrial and flat. But not particularly crowded or particularly ugly, thankfully. We found a nice place to walk, and there's a park at the end of our neighborhood. And Taylor gets plenty of exercise playing with all of the kids.

Halle and I are going to have lunch on Friday. With so many children (and especially with the infant), Halle's time is precious, so I am excited about having a few hours with her.

So that's what I have to report. Our first impressions of the Kansas City Adventure have been good. When I have processed the experience of the prayer room a little more, I'm sure I'll have more to say about it.

Love to you all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How many weeks in Kansas again? Indefinite?

Liz said...

Steph - Keep sharing your experiences whenever you can - I love to read your thoughts! I am so glad you guys made it safely. Post some pictures when you can too. Love you!!!

Ciona said...

Glad that you're getting settled! A lovely report of your life so far. Many hopeful prayers for you!