Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Back when I was five ...

Most of you know that my niece, Morgan, and I are pretty close - as close as any child is to a distant family member, anyway. I have this very clear memory of Morgan, six years old, sitting in the passenger seat of my car, telling me a story about her life in South Carolina. She began by saying, "Back when I was five ..." I don't remember the rest of the story, because I was thinking very hard about not laughing out loud. How does a six-year-old reflect on being five? And, really, is there a difference between being six and being five? If you're six, there is.

So I'm not going to do that. We could potentially have hours of conversation about our current circumstance - what went wrong, what went right, what happens next, etc. - but I don't think it's wise to hash it out yet. I know that our Christian culture wants to understand everything as it is happening, wants to see the bigger picture all the time, but we need to get through this first. When we're on the other side, we'll all sit in the safety of the present and discuss the past, and we'll smile at the way it all worked out, as though we always knew it would. For now, I need to finish being five.

With that in mind, let's change the subject, shall we?

No comments: